Skip to main content

Changes in a birth certificate

A couple of years ago I got the birth certificate for my daughter at the GHMC - Greater Hyderabad Municipal Corporation (earlier MCH - Municipal Corporation of Hyderabad) ward office. It was a fairly simple exercise of taking the birth information document that the hospital where your child is born gives you and submitting it at the office and then collecting it a couple of days later. What I did not realise then was that in the information that in the information that I had given the hospital I left out my middle name. So today when I applied for a passport for my daughter there was a mismatch in my name in her birth certificate and my passport and so the application was rejected.

So then started a whole new ordeal of getting that rectified. So I first visited the GHMC ward office from where I picked up the certificate and asked them if I could get the change made. I was informed that they can make the change only if the change was requested immediately after application before the data is entered into the computer network. So now I had to go to the main GHMC office at Tank Bund.

View Larger Map

I was told to go to the 4th floor of that office and look for the Health Department and in that department to ask for the Statistical Officer (currently it is a Mr. Raj Kumar). After a bit of asking and searching in the maze I was able to find this department.

I was asked to wait for a few minutes (there were a couple of people before me for some birth certificate related queries). Finally when I meet him he asks for the following documentation
  • Fill up the application form that he gave me - its free. It has to then be signed by 2 gazetted officers with their seal.
  • Give a declaration signed by a notary on a Rs. 10 stamp paper stating the name change that is required. He will give you the content of what needs to be written.
  • Two proofs of the name that I want to be replaced. So I was asked to bring a copy of my passport and marriage certificate. Some of the other proofs are Ration card, PAN card, Voter Identity Card.

I am supposed to meet him with this documentation and he will then tell me how long it will take to get the change done.

To read the rest of the articles in the series please click the following links
Changes in Birth Certificate - Day 2
Changes in Birth Certificate - Day 3
Changes in Birth Certificate - Finally got it


Anonymous said…
Thanks for the info - I had exact same prob- middle name messed up- your blog helped me to be prepared what to expect. For people having this issue in Bangalore/ bengalooru - approach BBMP in Utility Building (10th floor)MG Road- you need some additional documentation - affidavit with photos of paretns and the kid, attested marriage certificate, attested copy of father's 10th class certificate (passport not suffcient), letter from the hospital with correct details, original Birth certificate and a coverign letter;
guess its Andhra way of writing the name - we give surname first (as initials) followed by middle and given name- which messes up. For ex: PV Narsimha Rao - when u say P is Surname, V becomes first name; takes time to explain that V is middle name- good luck guys
Anonymous said…
I left the earlier comment - if u want reach me at
Sutikshan said…
Thanks, u have saved some days of many people.
Anonymous said…
Hi, You are so informative. Just tel me one thing, can i change my son name in birth certificate.
Anonymous said…
Any idea guys. If the birth certificate issued in some other state and now can i get it rectified in Hyderabad.
Anonymous said…
can you tell the procedure for change of addres in birth certificate.its wrong entry for the address of my parents in my birth certificate..
Anonymous said…
Dear Sudeep,
Thanks for your help. my middle name not entered in my sons birth certificate.Do you have the format for affidavit which is to be submitted.
please send to my mail
chintanskr said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
chintanskr said…
My situation is quite complicated. My name is Chintan R Sakaria and I was born on 26th February 1993. All my school records and identity cards like DL, Aadhar, Voter ID are in the same name. I was born in Chennai and the name in my birth certificate is mentioned as Chirag R Jain. (My parents later renamed me Chintan). I need to change my name in the birth certificate for getting my passport. I am 20 year's old now and I have lost my original birth certificate, but I do have a Xerox copy of it. I currently stay in Bangalore. Could anybody guide me through the process of changing names in the birth certificate. Tell me 1) how should I change my name in the birth certificate 2) Get a new birth certificate in the changed name
Very informative article, Which you have shared here about the birth certificate. After reading your article I got very much information about the process of birth certificate changes and it is very useful for us. I am thankful to you for sharing this article here. dominican republic birth certificate translation

Popular posts from this blog

Online Encumbrance Certificate in Andhra Pradesh

You can get an encumbrance certificate online in AP now. In order to get it you have to perform the following steps. Go to the website Click on Citizen Services -> encumbrance -> Search Click on Yes in the screen that appears Fill in the entries that appear in the search screen. You will have to get quite a few details in so it will help to have a copy of the registration document available with you. Once you finish entering all the details click on Submit. It will then go to a new page with the list of items that matched the search displayed. Click on the check box of the list of encumbrance certificates that are needed and click on submit. This will open a new popup window with the encumbrance certificate. You can then print this certificate. What is this useful for Anyone buying new property can go and verify the current owners of the property that is shown on this certificate in the column Name of PartiesExecutant(EX)&Claimants(CL) with the copy of

Cricket Grounds in Hyderabad

This is a repost of the article I published on the 10th of Jan, 2008 as I have added a new ground - Lahari Resorts. View Larger Map In this post I will try and update the list of cricket grounds that i know in Hyderabad. The grounds that I have listed till now are MCH Play ground, Ameerpet Francis (Do not have the contact number but go to the ground and ask for him). The charges are Rs. 1100 for the ground. They do not charge for anything more. You get the ground from 9:00 AM to 4:00PM. The ground is small. Welfare Center, Sanath Nagar Dhanraj Babu (+91 9394556356). The charges are Rs. 1100 for the ground. They charge you an additional Rs. 500 for the mat and Rs. 100 for cleaning and drawing lines and stuff. They are supposed to give you the ground from 9:00 AM to 4:00PM but what they do is that they pocket extra money from another team wanting to play and give the ground out to them for the remainder of the day assuming that you won't play for the whole day. So what happened th

Problogger guest post

Today my guest post appeared on . I wrote about 9 Tips to Start Blogging Successfully . Let me give you a bit of a background about where this article originated from. I have been blogging for close to 3 years now but I have been doing it seriously only for the last 2 months. I then analysed what were the things that I should have done in order to have become a successful blogger based on what I have noticed on the ones that have become successful. The final analysis of my study is what I put into that article and it is what I am trying to implement since the last 2 months. Reading the comments it was exhilarating to notice that some of the readers actually thought Darren was writing the post :-). It was also nice to notice that many readers agreed with my analysis and that strengthened my belief that what I have written if followed will work. How did I get to do a guest post on ? A little more than a week ago Darren invited bloggers to do guest pos