Technologist, Entrepreneur, Coach, Coin Collector and Blogger.
Saturday, October 09, 2021
You do what you are
Sunday, October 03, 2021
Process for freelance permit and visa through RAKEZ
The total cost came to about AED 19,000 for a 2 year freelance permit + one visa for 2 years (including all payments made to typing center).
Note : The amounts and process below is as when I did it in September 2021 and can change and be different when you are applying for it.
Approval for Freelance PermitFor the approval of the freelance permit you would require the following documents
- Current visa copy
- Passport copy of applicant
- NOC from employer whose visa you currently are on. This NOC is needed only if you have dependent visas and need to move them into hold status before cancelling your visa.
Dear Sir/Madam,We do not have any objection to issue a Freelance Permit to <applicant name>, Passport Number <passport no>.This NOC is being given for the smooth transfer of visa from <current employer> to the Freelance Permit.<applicant> has confirmed that the visa with <current employer> will be cancelled and moved to the freelance permit as soon as the permit is issued.
- Signed application form (Standard RAKEZ form)
- Payment of fees of AED 14035 once the application form is submitted
- Declaration authorizing third party to represent you (standard RAKEZ form). If you are using someone to do the process.
- Freelance Permit License (will be emailed to you)
- Establishment Card (will be emailed to you)
- Login to the e-portal of RAKEZ
Holding Dependent VisasBefore you cancel your visa, if there are any dependent visas on your visa, you can put them on hold with Immigration by paying a deposit of AED 2500 for each dependent visa. For the holding of dependent visas the following documents are needed.
- Original passport of applicant and dependents
- Emirates ID
- Freelance Permit License and Establishment card
- Current employer license and establishment card
- Deposit 2500 + pro fees will come (AED 150) for each dependent
Cancel your visaHand over your passport to the current employer to cancel the visa. Process should take a couple of days.
- Original Passport
- Payment receipt of putting the dependent visas on hold
Apply for e-visaYou would now need to apply for the new visa on the freelance permit. The documents required are
- Payment of AED 4700 (including visa, status change, emirates id and medical test)
Medical testGet a copy of the medical test application and proceed to the health center to get the medical test done. You will receive a copy of the results as an SMS within 24 hours. They usually have fast track counters which you have to pay additional AED 45 at the center to use.
Get visa on the passportFor getting the visa on the passport you will require
- Original Passport
- Medical report (received as link on SMS)
- Tenancy contract of your residence
- Translated copy of your degree certificate
- Signed Employment Contract
Refund of the deposit of dependent visasOnce the visa is issued on the passport, you have to apply for the refund of the deposit of the dependent visas that was paid earlier. This is done by the PRO/Typing Center. On approval you are issued a refund request with a bar code on it. You would have to go to immigration with the following documents to receive the refund
- Original Passport with the visa
- Emirates Id
- Deposit Refund request
Receipt of Emirates IdAbout 1 week after the visa is issued you will receive your new emirates id by mail.
Saturday, September 18, 2021
You are not a machine
Friday, September 10, 2021
Traits of an effective manager
- Effective Managers are not focused only on short term wins. They have a growth mindset that focuses on the goal.
- They are able to work through the difficult challenges and keep their cool. The task of solving the problem or achieving the goal is never easy and they are able to weather the storms by keeping theirs and their teams focus.
- An effective manager has a curious mind, they are always thinking of different possibilities on either solving problems or possible paths to achieve the goal.
- An effective manager is able to make tough decisions and they are ready to face the consequences. Quick informed decisions are important to be made in order to move the team forward.
- A good and strong manager should be able to inspire their team. They are effective communicators that can communicate clearly and can articulate the tasks the team needs to accomplish to achieve the goal.
- An effective manager gets a deep understanding of the problem they are trying to solve. By ensuring this deep understanding, they are able to provide the necessary direction and guidance to the team and are also able to cancel out all the negativity around them by having laser sharp focus.
- Effective managers manage by taking into consideration the needs of the stakeholders. Its important to have empathy. They should have an open mind and listen to their stakeholders and work towards meeting their needs.
- They see the bigger picture when it is fuzzy and hazy to everyone else and they strive and lead everyone towards that bigger picture. They are focused on the long term even though they suffer short term struggles.
- Strong Effective Managers show trust in their team and do not micro manage their team. They know how to break down the tasks and give it to the team and believe in their team to deliver on them.
- They always protect their team. They share the successes with the team and absorb the failures. They do not call out or embarrass team members in front of outsiders and expose the weaknesses of the team.
Thursday, September 02, 2021
All managers want reports at varying frequency or even ad hoc. The question is why do they need these reports? I feel it is for anyone of the below reasons
- They need them for decision making. This is mostly analysis of the past data or a report predicting the future based on various options.
- To give them an understanding on the working of a process. Are the key metrics being tracked, maintained within agreeable limits?
- Understanding the overall status of the project, how is it progressing against a timeline are there any risks or bumps ahead that can derail the project.
- Are the current systems and processes tracking the information necessary to produce the report?
- If the information is tracked, is it credible and cannot be tampered with?
- How long does it take to extract the information and produce the report?
- Does it give you enough information to satisfy your needs?
Sunday, August 15, 2021
Building Trust with your team
As a leader or manager ensuring that trust is built with the team is very important. Trust is what ensures the team works confidently and without any doubts.
Gaining the trust of the team is not easy and it takes time. It has to be gained through words and actions. The behaviors one must portray to build trust are
1. Being open and frank with your team
2. Showing courage in decision making
3. Keeping to your commitments and promises
4. Keeping the focus of the team razor sharp
5. Having the respect of the team
Tuesday, August 10, 2021
Communicate, communicate, communicate
As a community manager it is very important to ensure that a 2 way communication exists between the residents of the community and the Community Management Office. I am not so focused on the modes of communication such as the call center, email, social media, messengers, walk-in and so on, this post is more about the types of communication that needs to exist.
1. News and Information
Everyone likes to be aware and more so aware of the things happening around them. News of happenings in the community should be sent out in a timely manner. These can be periodic once a quarter for the planned news information (Newsletters) and information that cannot wait for a newsletter. Some examples of such information that needs to be sent out are
- Utility service interruptions due to water tank cleaning, disruption in supply, breakdown, etc
- Pest control activities and which areas to avoid
- Community Events
- Road diversions due to works happening
- New rules/processes implemented
2. Communicating Fees and Charges
3. Complaint Management
4. Face to Face Communication
You do what you are
In the 2001 movie Along came a spider, there is an interesting quote by Morgan Freeman where he says "You do what you are" and the...
Today my guest post appeared on problogger.net . I wrote about 9 Tips to Start Blogging Successfully . Let me give you a bit of a background...
I have been toying around with various ideas for the last 3 years. I have conceptualized and built the following products but I have no idea...
Once you start writing a blog you get into a phase where you want to increase the number of people that are reading your blog. So I started ...