All managers want reports at varying frequency or even ad hoc. The question is why do they need these reports? I feel it is for anyone of the below reasons
- They need them for decision making. This is mostly analysis of the past data or a report predicting the future based on various options.
- To give them an understanding on the working of a process. Are the key metrics being tracked, maintained within agreeable limits?
- Understanding the overall status of the project, how is it progressing against a timeline are there any risks or bumps ahead that can derail the project.
- Are the current systems and processes tracking the information necessary to produce the report?
- If the information is tracked, is it credible and cannot be tampered with?
- How long does it take to extract the information and produce the report?
- Does it give you enough information to satisfy your needs?